Video quality issues can be caused by a number of factors. Streaming and playback of high quality videos can be tough on devices and home networks. Here are a few tips to solve poor video issues:
1) Download the videos beforehand
If you are able to, I always recommend downloading the videos beforehand to reduce your reliance on a solid WiFi / internet connection during your ride. Often with larger files, you can "out-ride" the video going faster than your connection can stream it! Downloading the videos can also solve a number of other unrelated issues such as connection dropouts. To store a large number of videos, you can set up a NAS drive and access them using your home network.
2) Check your internet speed
Test your internet speed in the location you are riding to check what your actual internet speed is compared to what your provider is advertising! Go to www.speedtest.net or use the OOKLA app on your Apple TV device . It could be that the WiFi signal or connection is poor in the area you have your trainer.
3) Reduce traffic on your network
Just like rush hour on the highway, having numerous other apps or devices connected to your WiFi will reduce the available bandwidth that FulGaz has access to. If you have other members of your household streaming Netflix or internet gaming at the same time as your are streaming a FulGaz ride, this will severely impact your available bandwidth. Kick the kids off YouTube while you ride!
4) Choose a lower resolution video file
The 4K video files are HUGE and can stress out even the fastest internet connections. Many of these files are in excess of 10GB in size! The 1080p versions are around five times smaller. Choosing a lower resolution video such will ease the load on your WiFi connection.
5) Is it your device?
Older devices will often struggle to stream large files and/or play 4K content. If your device is getting a bit long in the tooth and is a few generations behind the latest model, it may not be capable of reproducing sharp, high quality footage. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about this! Downloading videos beforehand or choosing 1080p rather than 4K will give you the best result.
- If you are experiencing a black screen when attempting to play a video or the video disappears or goes dark part way through, the file is most likely corrupt. Click here for the solution.
- If you're using an iPhone or iPad to mirror FulGaz onto a big screen, always use the official Apple branded Lightening to AV/HDMI adaptor. Generic cables will give an inferior video quality.
- You may be playing an older video. As video and processing technology progresses, newer FulGaz videos continue to improve. Some older videos may not look as sharp as the newest ones. Try a ride in the "People's Picks" or "Trending" category. These are all recent rides available in 4K.